Proposal, alt.bitcoins
Anonymous
2015-09-24 00:10:01 UTC
Proposed New Newsgroup

alt.bitcoins

There needs to be a usenet group where one can goto for FAQ's on
What are Bitcoins, What is a Paper Wallet, What are the differences
between various online wallets, What exchanges should one stay away
from. I can think of many more issues to discuss, but reddit
appears to be the Go-To source for things bitcoin. I would like an
usenet alternative, which would allow for anonymous postings and if
needed remailer postings.

Please vote by replying to this thread as Re: Proposal, alt.
bitcoins
-= Hawk =-
What you want is a web page. Fuck on off to the web.
Nomen Nescio
2015-09-24 08:25:03 UTC
Post by Anonymous
Proposed New Newsgroup
alt.bitcoins
There needs to be a usenet group where one can goto for FAQ's on
What are Bitcoins, What is a Paper Wallet, What are the differences
between various online wallets, What exchanges should one stay away
from. I can think of many more issues to discuss, but reddit
appears to be the Go-To source for things bitcoin. I would like an
usenet alternative, which would allow for anonymous postings and if
needed remailer postings.
Please vote by replying to this thread as Re: Proposal, alt.
bitcoins
Please DO NOT respond to this post as I should have asked for
replies to an email address and NOT to this group. That was my bad.
I will propose a new alt group that has a hierarchy of
cryptocurrency.
Adam H. Kerman
2015-09-24 15:58:31 UTC
Post by Nomen Nescio
Post by Anonymous
Proposed New Newsgroup
alt.bitcoins
There needs to be a usenet group where one can goto for FAQ's on
What are Bitcoins, What is a Paper Wallet, What are the differences
between various online wallets, What exchanges should one stay away
from. I can think of many more issues to discuss, but reddit
appears to be the Go-To source for things bitcoin. I would like an
usenet alternative, which would allow for anonymous postings and if
needed remailer postings.
Please vote by replying to this thread as Re: Proposal, alt.
bitcoins
Please DO NOT respond to this post as I should have asked for
replies to an email address and NOT to this group. That was my bad.
I will propose a new alt group that has a hierarchy of
cryptocurrency.
You're an anonymous fuckhead who isn't discussing the topic on Usenet.
You aren't proposing newsgroups to improve discussion. You aren't discussing
the topic on Usenet. You don't care about Usenet. You don't even wish
to participate on Usenet long enough to learn something about how
newsgroups are proposed.

Here's a huge hint: No one cares about newsgroups proposed by
anonymous fuckheads. There's no audience for them. You won't even be able
to let anyone know that they exist (at least in your imagination).
Jack
2015-09-24 17:54:44 UTC
Post by Adam H. Kerman
Post by Nomen Nescio
Post by Anonymous
[...]
So you don't think there is a need for a discussion group for
cryptocurrencies? Just run on over to /r/bitcoin or /r/litecoin and see
the interest there. There should be an alternative on usenet and it's
your kind of thinking that is making usenet a technology of the past.

If we can't discuss new ideas and technology on usenet, then end users
will find another option to fill that need. You mention "anonymous
fuckhead" without even knowing a thing about me. Is that the only reason
why you are against a cryptocurrency group?

One of the core principals of using cryptocurrencies is anonymity. So
being able to, if one chooses to post anonymously to this proposed
newsgroup would be well within the proposed DNA of
alt.cryptocurrency.bitcoin or any other cryptocurrency group.
Adam H. Kerman
2015-09-25 02:25:32 UTC
Post by Jack
Post by Adam H. Kerman
Post by Nomen Nescio
Post by Anonymous
[...]
There is simply no need for anonymous fuckheads who morph within a thread.
Post by Jack
If we can't discuss new ideas and technology on usenet, then end users
will find another option to fill that need. You mention "anonymous
fuckhead" without even knowing a thing about me. Is that the only reason
why you are against a cryptocurrency group?
You're an anonymous fuckhead that morphs identities within a thread who
doesn't discuss the topic on Usenet. What else do I need to know?
Jack
2015-09-25 02:48:57 UTC
<snip>
Post by Adam H. Kerman
Post by Jack
Post by Adam H. Kerman
You're an anonymous fuckhead who isn't discussing the topic on Usenet.
You aren't proposing newsgroups to improve discussion. You aren't discussing
the topic on Usenet. You don't care about Usenet. You don't even wish
to participate on Usenet long enough to learn something about how
newsgroups are proposed.
And how did you arrive at this conclusion. You don't even know me, yet
I'm a fuckhead. I've been on Usenet for over 30 years so I do care about
keeping it a robust platform for the discussion of new technologies and
methodologies.
Post by Adam H. Kerman
Post by Jack
Post by Adam H. Kerman
Here's a huge hint: No one cares about newsgroups proposed by
anonymous fuckheads. There's no audience for them. You won't even be able
to let anyone know that they exist (at least in your imagination).
As I scan this group I see all kinds of anonymous postings so your
argument is specious.
Post by Adam H. Kerman
Post by Jack
So you don't think there is a need for a discussion group for
cryptocurrencies? Just run on over to /r/bitcoin or /r/litecoin and see
the interest there. There should be an alternative on usenet and it's
your kind of thinking that is making usenet a technology of the past.
There is simply no need for anonymous fuckheads who morph within a thread.
You didn't answer my question. You just used your favorite word again
"fuckhead(s)".
Post by Adam H. Kerman
Post by Jack
If we can't discuss new ideas and technology on usenet, then end users
will find another option to fill that need. You mention "anonymous
fuckhead" without even knowing a thing about me. Is that the only reason
why you are against a cryptocurrency group?
You're an anonymous fuckhead that morphs identities within a thread who
doesn't discuss the topic on Usenet. What else do I need to know?
There's that favorite word of yours again. You're starting to sound like
Donald Trump.
Adam H. Kerman
2015-09-25 05:34:55 UTC
Post by Jack
<snip>
Post by Adam H. Kerman
Post by Jack
Post by Adam H. Kerman
You're an anonymous fuckhead who isn't discussing the topic on Usenet.
You aren't proposing newsgroups to improve discussion. You aren't
discussing the topic on Usenet. You don't care about Usenet. You don't
even wish to participate on Usenet long enough to learn something
about how newsgroups are proposed.
And how did you arrive at this conclusion. You don't even know me, yet
I'm a fuckhead. I've been on Usenet for over 30 years so I do care about
keeping it a robust platform for the discussion of new technologies and
methodologies.
You told us you're discussing the topic on redit. We're just going by
your words.

It's unbelievable that you have that much Usenet experience, and you have
no clue how to start a discussion on bitcoins without proposing a
newsgroup, without fucking trying to start a second-level hierarchy.
Post by Jack
Post by Adam H. Kerman
Post by Jack
Post by Adam H. Kerman
Here's a huge hint: No one cares about newsgroups proposed by
anonymous fuckheads. There's no audience for them. You won't even be able
to let anyone know that they exist (at least in your imagination).
As I scan this group I see all kinds of anonymous postings so your
argument is specious.
It's all you in this thread, despite the number of times you morphed.

alt.config isn't the newsgroup to use to promote bitcoin discussion.
If you had any familiarity with Usenet, you'd know where to discuss bitcoins.
You'd know where the Usenet audience is right now.

But you're lying.
Post by Jack
Post by Adam H. Kerman
Post by Jack
So you don't think there is a need for a discussion group for
cryptocurrencies? Just run on over to /r/bitcoin or /r/litecoin and see
the interest there. There should be an alternative on usenet and it's
your kind of thinking that is making usenet a technology of the past.
There is simply no need for anonymous fuckheads who morph within a thread.
You didn't answer my question. You just used your favorite word again
"fuckhead(s)".
You're confused about the proponent's job. You're the proponent, in case
you haven't grasped it. It's your job to know where discussion on Usenet
takes place, to participate in it, and if there's really a need for
the group being proposed.

No audience means no need for the group.

Do your own homework. Starting a newsgroup that doesn't fail is actual
work. If you have no interest, withdraw the proposal. I think you've proposed
three groups, but I lost count.

Proposing multiple groups and second-level hierarchies are also
fuckhead signs, as well as proposing groups for topics that you have no
interest in discussing on Usenet.
-= Hawk =-
2015-09-25 03:25:36 UTC
Post by Jack
Post by Adam H. Kerman
Post by Nomen Nescio
Post by Anonymous
[...]
I hate to agree with Adam but. . . if people are discussing a topic
somewhere what makes you think they'll move, en masse to usenet from
where's they're currently happy discussing the topic?
--
May your shit come to life, and kiss you.
- F. Zappa
Jack
2015-09-25 04:03:55 UTC
Post by -= Hawk =-
Post by Jack
Post by Anonymous
Proposed New Newsgroup
alt.bitcoins
<snip>
I hate to agree with Adam but. . . if people are discussing a topic
somewhere what makes you think they'll move, en masse to usenet from
where's they're currently happy discussing the topic?
Well it appears that we have two NO votes. I'm not looking to replace
/r/bitcoin. I'm hoping to have an alternative discussion group. Just
like /r/bitcoin is NOT a location to post just urls for people to click
on, but there are also many topics that are being discussed on a daily
basis. Why can't we have that same level of discussion right here.
Adam H. Kerman
2015-09-25 05:38:18 UTC
Post by -= Hawk =-
Post by Jack
Post by Anonymous
Proposed New Newsgroup
alt.bitcoins
<snip>
I hate to agree with Adam but. . . if people are discussing a topic
somewhere what makes you think they'll move, en masse to usenet from
where's they're currently happy discussing the topic?
Well it appears that we have two NO votes. . . .
Dear gawd

Neither Hawk nor I have votes.

Read these; Hawk used to maintain this list, say thank you:

Want to propose a newsgroup? Browse these links for help:
http://www.faqs.org/usenet/alt/
http://www.gweep.ca/~edmonds/usenet/good-newgroup.html
http://nylon.net/alt/newgroup.htm
For information on moderating a newsgroup:
http://www.swcp.com/~dmckeon/mod-faq.html
http://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/faqs/mod-pitfalls.html
http://web.archive.org/web/20060210104745/www.landfield.com/moderators/
Tale discusses control messages (now maintained by Russ):
#Group name standard, newsgroups file line syntax, and control message logging
ftp://ftp.isc.org/pub/usenet/CONFIG/README
For proposals that belong in the UK hierarchy:
http://www.usenet.org.uk/
To locate a newsgroup control message:
ftp://ftp.isc.org/pub/usenet/control/[hierarchy]/[group.name].gz
Open with WinZip.
Newsgroup Propagation Search:
http://groupsearch.alt-config.net/engine.html
Jack
2015-09-25 16:24:40 UTC
Post by Adam H. Kerman
Post by -= Hawk =-
Post by Jack
Post by Anonymous
Proposed New Newsgroup
alt.bitcoins
<snip>
I hate to agree with Adam but. . . if people are discussing a topic
somewhere what makes you think they'll move, en masse to usenet from
where's they're currently happy discussing the topic?
Well it appears that we have two NO votes. . . .
Dear gawd
Neither Hawk nor I have votes.
http://www.faqs.org/usenet/alt/
I read the above guide at http://www.faqs.org/faqs/alt-creation-guide/
and this is where I thought the protocols was to ask for follow-ups to
an email address here's the text in question from this FAQ.
"Votes? Did someone say vote?
Let me repeat. There are no votes in alt. Period. If you want to
gather an "opinion poll" for your own purposes to see how popular
the group will be, great. Do not post votes to alt.config. Every
few months someone says "hey I've got a great idea for a newsgroup
alt.widget, what do you think?". Someone responds "I vote yes!",
causing a chain-reaction of posts to alt.config, lasting for days
or weeks. These serve no purpose but to annoy readers of
alt.config, and to distribute dozens of messages across the globe
that should have ended up in someone's mailbox instead. Please,
use a Followup-To: poster in your header and gather votes by
e-mail. Then post a summary after a week or two."
<snip>
Thanks for all the other links. I will do my homework and report back if
necessary. I'm open to constructive criticism, but would recommend that
all the f-bombs and personal attacks have no purpose. I'm a grown ass
man just as I assume you are and the High School nature of your first

Have a nice day.
Adam H. Kerman
2015-09-25 17:10:30 UTC
Post by Jack
Post by Adam H. Kerman
Post by -= Hawk =-
Post by Jack
Post by Anonymous
Proposed New Newsgroup
alt.bitcoins
<snip>
[...]
FAQs are the opinion of their author. Several are available, which is why
we list a range of opinion.

Truly, the author of that FAQ didn't emphasize just how useless any
information gathered from that opinion poll would be. It's not any kind
of poll at all anyway.

All that's known about Usenet is what people actually do, versus what they
promise to do. Someone stating "I'll post to the group if it's created" is
beyond worthless if he's never discussed the topic on Usenet.

Ignore everything else I've told you and concentrate on this:

Find an appropriate newsgroup to discuss the topic in. Start posting,
especially followups in threads discussing bitcoin. Getting discussion going
is far more important than anything else.

Proposing newsgroups does fuck-all to get discussion going.
Post by Jack
Thanks for all the other links. I will do my homework and report back if
necessary. I'm open to constructive criticism, but would recommend that
all the f-bombs and personal attacks have no purpose. I'm a grown ass
man just as I assume you are and the High School nature of your first
Perhaps you could learn a lesson and NOT post to Usenet from dizum,
especially to propose a newsgroup.

Sorry, but my opinion of that will never change. Newsgroups are proposed
publicly by people who are known on Usenet for discussing that topic.
If you're unwilling to make yourself known on Usenet for discussing the
topic of the newsgroup you would propose, you have absolutely no business
proposing newsgroups.

It's really that simple.

My opinion of someone who would morph within a thread will never change either.

Lastly, you just didn't listen when you were told that newsgroups for
FAQs and nothing else are never proposed. Newsgroups for FAQs were all
created years ago. There are plenty of newsgroups for FAQs. They all
have *.answers as their final name part. Anyone can submit an FAQ to
get it approved for period posting; they even have servers to do the
periodic posting if the author doesn't do his own cron job. FAQs also
get crossposted to the related newsgroup.
-= Hawk =-
2015-09-26 22:32:00 UTC
Post by Jack
Post by -= Hawk =-
Post by Jack
Post by Anonymous
Proposed New Newsgroup
alt.bitcoins
<snip>
I hate to agree with Adam but. . . if people are discussing a topic
somewhere what makes you think they'll move, en masse to usenet from
where's they're currently happy discussing the topic?
Well it appears that we have two NO votes. I'm not looking to replace
There's no voting in alt.
Because no one cares?
ah
2015-11-22 16:53:22 UTC
Post by Jack
Post by Adam H. Kerman
Post by Nomen Nescio
Post by Anonymous
[...]
Why don't you run on over to USENET and provide some examples of current
discussion, here?
Post by Jack
There should be an alternative on usenet and it's
your kind of thinking that is making usenet a technology of the past.
Therein lies the error of assumption.

froups are here because people make them whole, not because they
'should' exist.

alt.config is not a philosophy group....
-= Hawk =-
2015-09-25 01:05:16 UTC
On Thu, 24 Sep 2015 10:25:03 +0200 (CEST), Nomen Nescio
Post by Nomen Nescio
Post by Anonymous
Proposed New Newsgroup
alt.bitcoins
There needs to be a usenet group where one can goto for FAQ's on
What are Bitcoins, What is a Paper Wallet, What are the differences
between various online wallets, What exchanges should one stay away
from. I can think of many more issues to discuss, but reddit
appears to be the Go-To source for things bitcoin. I would like an
usenet alternative, which would allow for anonymous postings and if
needed remailer postings.
Please vote by replying to this thread as Re: Proposal, alt.
bitcoins
Please DO NOT respond to this post as I should have asked for
replies to an email address and NOT to this group. That was my bad.
I will propose a new alt group that has a hierarchy of
cryptocurrency.
What? You mean like this? I can't reply to this thread? Then you're
going to pull some fucktard game of pretending people support your
idiotic idea in email? Your douchebaggery belongs on a website not
usenet. Usenet is not a repository or archive.
Jack
2015-09-25 02:26:35 UTC
Post by Nomen Nescio
Post by Anonymous
[...]
If the protocol is to reply on this group, then I stand to be corrected.
Before I posted my post I read an FAQ where it was specifically
recommended that this group NOT be used to clutter up responses. If
that's not the case then I apologize.

As you can see in my second request for alt.cryptocurrency.bitcoin, I
did add an email address to post any responses, but this does not meet
the requirements for alt.config. I will repost another request that
hopefully fulfills all the requirements for discussing the merits of a
usenet group for the discussion of digital currencies.

I would like to have a civilized discussion on the merits of having a
cryptocurrency group instead of all the name calling.
-= Hawk =-
2015-09-25 03:32:27 UTC
Post by Nomen Nescio
Post by Anonymous
[...]
Sit, with as bad as you're fucking things up this may take a while.
Post by Jack
Before I posted my post I read an FAQ where it was specifically
recommended that this group NOT be used to clutter up responses. If
that's not the case then I apologize.
As you can see in my second request for alt.cryptocurrency.bitcoin, I
did add an email address to post any responses, but this does not meet
the requirements for alt.config. I will repost another request that
hopefully fulfills all the requirements for discussing the merits of a
usenet group for the discussion of digital currencies.
I would like to have a civilized discussion on the merits of having a
cryptocurrency group instead of all the name calling.
Do whatever the fuck you want, you're going to anyhow so why waste the
whole everyone tells you the idea is shit, you throw a hissy fit, we
(TINW, TINC) laugh uproariously at you and then you flounce off like a
Kardashian. Just go on, do whatever the fuck idiotic idea you have. No
one cares, except Adam and he's just an old twat. You're going to fail.
But again, no one's going to give a fuck.

There, I saved you hours of butthurt and whinging. Have a nice day.
Jack
2015-09-25 04:08:09 UTC
Post by Jack
<snip>
Do whatever the fuck you want, you're going to anyhow so why waste the
whole everyone tells you the idea is shit, you throw a hissy fit, we
(TINW, TINC) laugh uproariously at you and then you flounce off like a
Kardashian. Just go on, do whatever the fuck idiotic idea you have. No
one cares, except Adam and he's just an old twat. You're going to fail.
But again, no one's going to give a fuck.
There, I saved you hours of butthurt and whinging. Have a nice day.
Show me where I have thrown a hissy fit. On the contrary, all I've
gotten from you and Adam is a lot of f-bombs thrown my way. I'm the one
who has tried to keep things civilized here.
-= Hawk =-
2015-09-26 22:35:30 UTC
Post by Jack
Post by Jack
<snip>
Do whatever the fuck you want, you're going to anyhow so why waste the
whole everyone tells you the idea is shit, you throw a hissy fit, we
(TINW, TINC) laugh uproariously at you and then you flounce off like a
Kardashian. Just go on, do whatever the fuck idiotic idea you have. No
one cares, except Adam and he's just an old twat. You're going to fail.
But again, no one's going to give a fuck.
There, I saved you hours of butthurt and whinging. Have a nice day.
Show me where I have thrown a hissy fit. On the contrary, all I've
gotten from you and Adam is a lot of f-bombs thrown my way. I'm the one
who has tried to keep things civilized here.
But you're still here. Toddle along. Create your useless spamtrap no one
will give two turds about. Yes, you create it, no one will do it for
you. Now, stop wasting times. Go create your newsgroup. Go. Scoot. Git.
There's nothing here for you.
RS Wood
2015-11-26 07:31:17 UTC
Post by Anonymous
Proposed New Newsgroup
alt.bitcoins
There needs to be a usenet group where one can goto for FAQ's on
What are Bitcoins, What is a Paper Wallet, What are the differences
between various online wallets, What exchanges should one stay away
from. I can think of many more issues to discuss, but reddit
appears to be the Go-To source for things bitcoin. I would like an
usenet alternative, which would allow for anonymous postings and if
needed remailer postings.
Please vote by replying to this thread as Re: Proposal, alt.
bitcoins
I'll reply to the first message in the thread because the whole
conversation got stupid afterwards.

I support a group focused on cryptocurrencies (let's not make it just
about bitcoin).

There's a healthy discussion going on at comp.misc - we post tons of
articles, the kind of topics you'd usually find at Slashdot. Where
relevant, we cross-post to one other group. I count at least ten
recent conversations about bitcoin, dogecoin, or crypto currencies.
All of these conversations would have been shunted to
alt.cryptocurrencies if it had existed.

If you create the group, we will populate it.

If you don't, anyone interested in discussing the sort of stuff you'd
have found at slashdot.org is welcome at comp.misc,
misc.news.internet.discuss, and sci.misc - the three groups we're using
for discussion.
Peter J Ross
2015-11-26 09:46:08 UTC
Post by RS Wood
Post by Anonymous
Proposed New Newsgroup
alt.bitcoins
There needs to be a usenet group where one can goto for FAQ's on
What are Bitcoins, What is a Paper Wallet, What are the differences
between various online wallets, What exchanges should one stay away
from. I can think of many more issues to discuss, but reddit
appears to be the Go-To source for things bitcoin. I would like an
usenet alternative, which would allow for anonymous postings and if
needed remailer postings.
Please vote by replying to this thread as Re: Proposal, alt.
bitcoins
I'll reply to the first message in the thread because the whole
conversation got stupid afterwards.
The first message in the thread is about as stupid as it possibly
could be.
Post by RS Wood
I support a group focused on cryptocurrencies (let's not make it just
about bitcoin).
It's the proponent's job to choose a name and topic, and evaluate
support - *before* coming to alt.config. Of course, there was no
proponent in this case, just a clueless coward using an anomymous
remailer.
Post by RS Wood
There's a healthy discussion going on at comp.misc - we post tons of
articles, the kind of topics you'd usually find at Slashdot. Where
relevant, we cross-post to one other group. I count at least ten
recent conversations about bitcoin, dogecoin, or crypto currencies.
All of these conversations would have been shunted to
alt.cryptocurrencies if it had existed.
On the contrary, there is one relevant thread in comp.misc from the
past 90 days, comprising two posts.

That's about 0.2% of the amount of discussion that's usually deemed
necessary to justify a new group.
Post by RS Wood
If you create the group, we will populate it.
Who are "we"? The two people who have made one post each on the topic
in three months?

Who are "you"? Nobody in alt.config creates groups. News
administrators create groups - if you can convince them that the
groups are worth creating. There is no evidence whatever that a group
for this topic is worth creating.
Post by RS Wood
If you don't, anyone interested in discussing the sort of stuff you'd
have found at slashdot.org is welcome at comp.misc,
misc.news.internet.discuss, and sci.misc - the three groups we're using
for discussion.
alt.config is not an appropriate place for advertising existing
newsgroups.

Read the FAQs: http://alt-config.net/
--
PJR :-)

τὸν οἰόμενον νόον ἔχειν ὁ νουθετέων ματαιοπονεῖ.
- Democritus
Adam H. Kerman
2015-11-26 15:05:49 UTC
Post by RS Wood
Post by Anonymous
Proposed New Newsgroup
alt.bitcoins
There needs to be a usenet group where one can goto for FAQ's on
What are Bitcoins, What is a Paper Wallet, What are the differences
between various online wallets, What exchanges should one stay away
from. I can think of many more issues to discuss, but reddit
appears to be the Go-To source for things bitcoin. I would like an
usenet alternative, which would allow for anonymous postings and if
needed remailer postings.
Please vote by replying to this thread as Re: Proposal, alt.
bitcoins
I'll reply to the first message in the thread because the whole
conversation got stupid afterwards.
The root article was posted by a would-be anonymous fuckhead. They
make lousy proponents. Also, there's no reason to put it in its
own second-level hierarchy.
Post by RS Wood
I support a group focused on cryptocurrencies (let's not make it just
about bitcoin).
Goody. Write a proper proposal, then justify it. That means finding
and identifying the Usenet audience and using proper judgment to see
if the proposed group is warranted.
Post by RS Wood
There's a healthy discussion going on at comp.misc - we post tons of
articles, the kind of topics you'd usually find at Slashdot. Where
relevant, we cross-post to one other group. I count at least ten
recent conversations about bitcoin, dogecoin, or crypto currencies.
All of these conversations would have been shunted to
alt.cryptocurrencies if it had existed.
I've seen you post full-text quotes of articles from the Web in various
newsgroups. That's copyright infringement and shilling for Web sites, but
that's not Usenet discussion. Has anyone ever started a thread to discuss
the topic, writing an original article or his own thoughts for Usenet?
Post by RS Wood
If you create the group, we will populate it.
Yet another newsgroup dominated by cron jobs reposting articles from
the Web is something Usenet doesn't require. Also, alt.config isn't
an entity that creates newsgroups.

If you'd like to write a serious proposal and identify actual discussion
that might justify a newsgroup you would propose (again, that's not
full text reposts of articles from other media), we can guide you.
Otherwise, there's nothing to discuss in alt.config.
Isn't slashdot an acceptable forum for discussing slashdot articles?
RS Wood
2015-11-27 07:19:13 UTC
Post by Adam H. Kerman
Isn't slashdot an acceptable forum for discussing slashdot articles?
Slashdot used to be awesome. It's been in a death spiral for years now
and the best and brightest posters have mostly gone elsewhere. Now
that everyone is posting from their smartphones the quality of
discourse has plummeted - Slashdot is hardly worth visiting anymore.

A lot of folks went to soylentnews.org last year - not a bad site, but
too many social justice articles. Others went to pipedot.org, but the
number of users and especially posters is too low to make for a good
experience. A lot of the older ones who know/love Usenet wound up at
comp.misc.

Usenet still has some great newsgroups.
Adam H. Kerman
2015-11-27 17:55:38 UTC
Post by RS Wood
Post by Adam H. Kerman
Isn't slashdot an acceptable forum for discussing slashdot articles?
Slashdot used to be awesome. It's been in a death spiral for years now
and the best and brightest posters have mostly gone elsewhere. Now
that everyone is posting from their smartphones the quality of
discourse has plummeted - Slashdot is hardly worth visiting anymore.
A lot of folks went to soylentnews.org last year - not a bad site, but
too many social justice articles. Others went to pipedot.org, but the
number of users and especially posters is too low to make for a good
experience. A lot of the older ones who know/love Usenet wound up at
comp.misc.
Usenet still has some great newsgroups.
The point I'm making is that a newsgroup that's entirely dominated by
full-text quotes of articles from other media isn't what's great about
Usenet in any way. What most of us who still use Usenet want are
articles written for Usenet.

Yeah, these articles can make a contribution as a small supplement to
active discussion, but they can't replace it.
RS Wood
2015-11-27 20:24:17 UTC
Post by Adam H. Kerman
Post by RS Wood
Usenet still has some great newsgroups.
The point I'm making is that a newsgroup that's entirely dominated by
full-text quotes of articles from other media isn't what's great about
Usenet in any way. What most of us who still use Usenet want are
articles written for Usenet.
Ha ha ha! Good luck with that, dude. Your dream died decades ago. If
alt.config is any indication, Usenet is moribund, overrun by wankers and
misanthropic fuckwits.

The occasional group that likes to chat about stuff in the press is
better than nothing. Original content for Usenet sounds great. Who's
going to do it? Not you, apparently.
Adam H. Kerman
2015-11-27 21:19:36 UTC
Post by RS Wood
Post by Adam H. Kerman
Post by RS Wood
Usenet still has some great newsgroups.
The point I'm making is that a newsgroup that's entirely dominated by
full-text quotes of articles from other media isn't what's great about
Usenet in any way. What most of us who still use Usenet want are
articles written for Usenet.
Ha ha ha! Good luck with that, dude. Your dream died decades ago. If
alt.config is any indication, Usenet is moribund, overrun by wankers and
misanthropic fuckwits.
You've been hanging out in alt.config for days, now, and still can't
figure out what we do here, despite having had it explained to you
a number of times.
Post by RS Wood
The occasional group that likes to chat about stuff in the press is
better than nothing. Original content for Usenet sounds great. Who's
going to do it? Not you, apparently.
Again: A group based on copying articles already published in another
medium isn't Usenet. Content from non-Usenet participants out of
desperation for having any content at all has never worked. Groups
can't be justified on that basis... not that you've proposed a newsgroup.
RS Wood
2015-11-29 18:53:44 UTC
Post by Adam H. Kerman
You've been hanging out in alt.config for days, now, and still can't
figure out what we do here, despite having had it explained to you
a number of times.
I've gone and read the FAQ. Thanks. I'd erronesously assumed this
group served a purpose and now I understand it does not.
Post by Adam H. Kerman
Post by RS Wood
The occasional group that likes to chat about stuff in the press is
better than nothing. Original content for Usenet sounds great. Who's
going to do it? Not you, apparently.
Again: A group based on copying articles already published in another
medium isn't Usenet. Content from non-Usenet participants out of
desperation for having any content at all has never worked. Groups
can't be justified on that basis... not that you've proposed a newsgroup.
No, I've not proposed a newsgroup. And won't be doing so, either. For
what it's worth, linking to interesting content to get a conversation
started isn't a bad thing. Copying the entire article isn't good
practice, but let each poster defend himself when the copyright police
come and kick his door down ...
Adam H. Kerman
2015-11-29 19:10:37 UTC
Post by RS Wood
Post by Adam H. Kerman
You've been hanging out in alt.config for days, now, and still can't
figure out what we do here, despite having had it explained to you
a number of times.
I've gone and read the FAQ. Thanks. I'd erronesously assumed this
group served a purpose and now I understand it does not.
I have no idea what FAQ you read. The group serves a purpose: If a
proponent wants his proposal discussed, we discuss it. If he doesn't,
we don't. Lots of amazingly stupid people people that "alt.config"
grants or denies newsgroups, which isn't how Usenet works. The
decision to create a newsgroup is made one News site at a time.

All we can do is tell proponents how to improve their chances of success.

Other amazingly stupid people believe that sending a newgroup message
creates newsgroups, which it doesn't. Still others argue about why their
newgroup messages are exempt from syntax, sigh.
Your choice.
William Bagwell
2015-12-01 01:51:39 UTC
On Sun, 29 Nov 2015 19:10:37 +0000 (UTC), "Adam H. Kerman"
Post by Adam H. Kerman
Lots of amazingly stupid people people that "alt.config"
grants or denies newsgroups,
Admittedly one of the worst spellers around these parts, but I have
never misspelled 'think' that badly;-)

http://www.alt-config.net/Link_to_the_FAQs.html
Peter J Ross
2015-12-01 20:19:52 UTC
Post by Adam H. Kerman
Lots of amazingly stupid people people that "alt.config"
grants or denies newsgroups,
Admittedly one of the worst spellers around these parts, but I have
never misspelled 'think' that badly;-)
http://www.alt-config.net/Link_to_the_FAQs.html
Now that we've learned that alt.configgers are dropping like flies, I
wonder if you've made arrangements for your excellent site to continue
after you've been swatted by the gods?

- Democritus
William Bagwell
2015-12-03 01:49:44 UTC
Post by Peter J Ross
Now that we've learned that alt.configgers are dropping like flies, I
wonder if you've made arrangements for your excellent site to continue
after you've been swatted by the gods?
In my mid 50s, lacto vegetarian for 15 years, recently went totally
vegan. (Wife was extremely happy I joined her!) Just had my annual
physical today and expect the results to be just as positive as last
years... Plan to be around for awhile longer, but if you want to
help arrange a mirror just encase then contact me via email.

Oh, wasn't the dropping like flies like five years ago?
--
William

http://www.alt-config.net/Link_to_the_FAQs.html
dvus
2015-12-03 04:54:00 UTC
Post by William Bagwell
Post by Peter J Ross
Now that we've learned that alt.configgers are dropping like flies, I
wonder if you've made arrangements for your excellent site to continue
after you've been swatted by the gods?
In my mid 50s, lacto vegetarian for 15 years, recently went totally
vegan. (Wife was extremely happy I joined her!) Just had my annual
physical today and expect the results to be just as positive as last
years... Plan to be around for awhile longer, but if you want to
help arrange a mirror just encase then contact me via email.
I figure my ancestors developed their huge brains by ingesting lots of
protein (meat and marrow) so I try to do the same. Don't you ever long
for a nice Porterhouse?
Post by William Bagwell
Oh, wasn't the dropping like flies like five years ago?
Us good guys are still waking up above ground! Not sure what keeps Adam
going...
dvus
William Bagwell
2015-12-03 10:07:14 UTC
Post by dvus
Post by William Bagwell
Post by Peter J Ross
Now that we've learned that alt.configgers are dropping like flies, I
wonder if you've made arrangements for your excellent site to continue
after you've been swatted by the gods?
In my mid 50s, lacto vegetarian for 15 years, recently went totally
vegan. (Wife was extremely happy I joined her!) Just had my annual
physical today and expect the results to be just as positive as last
years... Plan to be around for awhile longer, but if you want to
help arrange a mirror just encase then contact me via email.
I figure my ancestors developed their huge brains by ingesting lots of
protein (meat and marrow) so I try to do the same. Don't you ever long
for a nice Porterhouse?
Nope. And it better actually be *nice* or the smell is nauseous. Odd
how much more sensitive to spoiled things one becomes when you no
longer consume them.
Post by dvus
Post by William Bagwell
Oh, wasn't the dropping like flies like five years ago?
Had not seen the thread below... I has a sad:-(
Post by dvus
Us good guys are still waking up above ground! Not sure what keeps Adam
going...
Finger exercise?
--
William

http://www.alt-config.net/Link_to_the_FAQs.html
dvus
2015-12-04 00:19:11 UTC
Post by William Bagwell
Post by dvus
Post by William Bagwell
Post by Peter J Ross
Now that we've learned that alt.configgers are dropping like flies, I
wonder if you've made arrangements for your excellent site to continue
after you've been swatted by the gods?
In my mid 50s, lacto vegetarian for 15 years, recently went totally
vegan. (Wife was extremely happy I joined her!) Just had my annual
physical today and expect the results to be just as positive as last
years... Plan to be around for awhile longer, but if you want to
help arrange a mirror just encase then contact me via email.
I figure my ancestors developed their huge brains by ingesting lots of
protein (meat and marrow) so I try to do the same. Don't you ever long
for a nice Porterhouse?
Nope. And it better actually be *nice* or the smell is nauseous. Odd
how much more sensitive to spoiled things one becomes when you no
longer consume them.
I've heard that before. Not sure I'd appreciate that ability.
Post by William Bagwell
Post by dvus
Us good guys are still waking up above ground! Not sure what keeps Adam
going...
Finger exercise?
Using them to type or giving the finger?
dvus
Peter J Ross
2015-12-05 04:54:36 UTC
Post by dvus
I figure my ancestors developed their huge brains
What the fuck went wrong with their descendants?

:-)

- Democritus
dvus
2015-12-05 12:19:04 UTC
Post by Peter J Ross
Post by dvus
I figure my ancestors developed their huge brains
What the fuck went wrong with their descendants?
:-)
Some decided they could maintain their superiority of intelligence by
eating like rabbits and squirrels. Trouble is, that loss of smarts led
them to believe they could blame CO2 for all the planets ills instead of
realizing it's responsible for them even being here.

http://technocracy.news/index.php/2015/10/30/former-president-of-greenpeace-scientifically-rips-climate-change-to-shreds/
dvus
Adam H. Kerman
2015-12-01 19:23:11 UTC
Post by Anonymous
Proposed New Newsgroup
alt.bitcoins
There needs to be a usenet group where one can goto for FAQ's on
What are Bitcoins, What is a Paper Wallet, What are the differences
between various online wallets, What exchanges should one stay away
from. I can think of many more issues to discuss, but reddit
appears to be the Go-To source for things bitcoin. I would like an
usenet alternative, which would allow for anonymous postings and if
needed remailer postings.
Please vote by replying to this thread as Re: Proposal, alt.
bitcoins
You couldn't be bothered to do your own fucking dirty work. Bruce Esquibel
picked a fight with me in another newsgroup about this proposal discussion,
then hijacked your proposal. Just what Usenet needs, more unethical assholes.

Anonymous fuckhead: You still must request that this group be created
locally, else you'll never see it. I doubt you can do that anonymously.

Luck on your spamtrap.